As a new mom, beauty routines can be difficult to work into my schedule. Self-care is so important and I love finding easy ways to pamper myself at home. A few times a week I make scrambled egg whites and I finally found a good use for the poor, discarded yolks. I turned to Pinterest in my quest for a DIY egg yolk recipe expecting to find dessert recipes but, I never thought about using the yolks for an at-home beauty treatment. I settled on using this hair mask as inspiration from Domestic Bliss Squared, since my hair has gotten very long and the ends can get very dry. Plus, I had all of the ingredients in my pantry- Score!
DIY Deep Nourishing Hair Mask
Prep time: 5 minutes
Treatment time: 20 minutes
1 Egg Yolk
1 T Liquified Coconut Oil
1 T Olive Oil
1 T Honey
- Melt the coconut oil if needed in a medium Pyrex dish 10 seconds at a time in the microwave until liquified.
- Add the egg yolks, honey and olive oil to the coconut oil and whip with a fork to get it a bit fluffy, if possible.
- Warning: This Step is Messy! Apply mask, starting at the ends and working your way to the roots. If you don’t have enough to fully cover every inch of your hair, the ends are the most important.
- Gather hair in a top knot and secure. Optional: Cover with a plastic grocery bag.
- Let soak for at least 20 minutes. I left my mask in for 2 hours.
- Rinse the mask in the shower and then shampoo and condition as usual.
- Brush while hair is wet with The Wet Brush and let air dry.
- Get a million complements on your silky, super sexy hair!
Double or triple recipe for longer hair.