Being a stay at home mom in Downtown Los Angeles is great because there are so many awesome – and free – things to do around the city. I take JR and Boo Boo on a few walks each day and we will stop to play in the park but, when we need a little more excitement in our lives I take Boo home and head out with the baby to our favorite spots.
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles – The NHMLA offers free admission the first Tuesday of every month, which is an awesome place to meet up with other moms. The museum is huge and has a lot of different galleries to explore such as, dinosaurs, gemstones and rocks, huge animal displays, plants and a special pavilion. The pavilion will have a butterfly exhibit (my favorite) or spider exhibit and you are walking around all of the insects, trying to find specific ones with the help of the guides. It is a great, interactive experience. The pavilion does require a ticket and is $5 per person. Also, parking is $12 in the lot right next to the museum, cash only.
- Central Library – The children’s section of The Central branch is so beautiful and you feel like you have just stepped into a story book when you walk through the doors. Each week, there are free activities for every age group and they even offer family fun days for everyone to enjoy together. We like to attend the baby story time on Mondays at 11:00 am.
- Splash Pad at Grand Park – During the Summer DTLA gets scorching hot and the splash pad near the fountain in Grand Park is the best spot to cool down. It is a huge area with water flowing down from the giant fountain and lots
- FIGat7th – Every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month the downtown shopping center offers a free arts and crafts workshop as part of their kids club program. Celebrate the Chinese New Year, make a sweet Valentine and experience Mardi Gras at upcoming events.
- FIDM Museum – If you have a young fashionista or budding designer on your hands, the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising offers free admission to their museum. Filled with garments from world famous designers and collectors, there is so much to see, it will keep your little one occupied all day.